Green onion pancake made by boiling-water dough with some green onions (sesame seeds and salt) has flaky and crispy texture.
It’s a popular and traditional asian street snack.
Boiling-water dough, aka tangmian, is a traditional asian dough forming method. Adding hot boiling water to break the gluten of the dough, it has two distinguishing characters:
- the dough is super soft, easy to be operated and shaped.
- without strong gluten link, product is flaky and crispy, very suitable for deep frying and pan frying.
Simple ingredients, simple methods, and wonderful flavors.
1. PANCAKE DOUGH
this recipe makes 6 pancake wrappers, each weighs about 80g.
|item||weight||cups or spoons||weight % to flour|
|plain flour||300 g||2 + 1/2 cups||100 %|
|boiling water||180 g||3/4 cup||60 % (~ 70 %)|
|oil||15 g||1 tbsp||5 %|
|salt||3 g||1/2 tsp||1 %|
|total ingredients weight||500 g||–||–|
|total ingredients ratio||–||–||166%|
|reference||1 cup = 240ml||1 tbsp = 15ml||1 tsp = 5ml|
2. PANCAKE FILLINGS
|item||weight||cups or spoons|
|green onion||100 g||5 stems|
|oil||27 g||2 tbsp|
|salt||1 g||1/4 tsp|
|sesame seeds||12 g||1 tbsp|
|reference||1 cup = 240ml||1 tbsp = 15ml, 1 tsp = 5ml|
- mix flour, water, oil, and salt into a large bowl
- since we have boiling water poured in, don’t put your hands into the bowl right away, use a spatula to give it a good stir
- when the dough is a bit cool down, it’s time to start a short kneading, and have it covered with a lid, let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes
- when the dough is resting, we can prepare the green onion fillings
- mix green onions, oil, salt, and sesame seeds all together
- it can be used right away
Here I’ll introduce 2 ways of shaping, one is flat-round shape, the other is bulk-round shape:
- the first is simple and quick, similar to making cinnamon rolls
- flat the dough in a square rectangle shape
- spread the green onion filling, carefully roll it up
- divide it into 6 portions
- put them into a container and let it chill for 20 to 30 minutes, this step is optional,
- use your rolling pin and make it a 8-inch round flat dough. it gets a little bit messy but very worth it when it’s all done
the second is also easy, roll each dough separately and make it a spiral shape
- with or without oil, put the flat dough directly into the pan
- let it cook for 4 minutes each side
- there we have, the green onion pancake