Golden formula of a perfect white sauce is simple. Just milk, butter, and flour. It’s a basic foundation for many French or Italian cuisines!
1 cup of milk + 1 tbsp of butter + 1 tbsp of flour
Besides milk, butter, and flour, we can add any kind of seasoning ingredients we like, such as garlic, bay leaf, white pepper, black pepper, nutmeg, salt, and etc.
In this video I’m using soy milk to replace milk, olive oil to replace butter, creating a vegan version of the white sauce; and making a simple white sauce pasta for a quick lunch.
1 cup of soy milk + 1 tbsp of olive oil + 1 tbsp of flour
|item||weight||cups or spoons|
|soy milk||520 g||2 cups|
|olive oil||27 g||2 tbsp|
|plain flour||20 g||2 tbsp|
|garlic||12 g||2 cloves|
|bay leaf||1 g||1 leaf|
|sea salt||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|reference||1 cup = 250ml||1 tbsp = 15ml, 1tsp = 5ml|
- flavor soy milk
- with garlic and bay leaf (low heat)
- steep and soak for 20 minutes (no heat)
- make sure garlic is crushed, fully use its flavor
- make the roux with oil and flour (low heat)
- whisk and mix till the roux is bubbling up, becoming starchy and smoother
- add the flavory soy milk (high heat)
- slowly and carefully, add the flavory soy milk, separately in 2 to 3 times
- add salt and complete
- when the sauce is boiling and gradually thicken, add the sea salt and the sauce is done
- salt can be added at this stage, or added when we use the white sauce to cook any related dishes